ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] AD Backup Headaches

2014-07-02 07:45:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] AD Backup Headaches
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 07:43:39 -0400
We are going through some major Active Directory reorganization and wanted
to post this question/thoughts to confirm what I think I understand about
the effects of what we are doing with our AD structure and the TSM backups.

We have a server that acts as CIFS backup points for 40-nodes.  All of the
backups are done based on the mountpoint, using the schedules OBJECTS
value, e.g.:

7:34:25 AM   WIND : select
description,action,options,objects,priority,startdate,starttime,duration,durunits,dayofweek,expiration,sched_style,perunits,period,dayofmonth,enh_month,weekofmonth
from client_schedules where domain_name='CIFSSHARES' and
schedule_name='LAVENDER-UNIVRELATIONS'
     ACTION: INCREMENTAL
    OBJECTS: \\lavender.uc.adp.vcu.edu\university_relations
   PRIORITY: 5
  STARTDATE: 2013-04-23
  STARTTIME: 22:00:00
   DURATION: 1
   DURUNITS: HOURS
  DAYOFWEEK: Any
 EXPIRATION:
SCHED_STYLE: ENHANCED
   PERUNITS:
     PERIOD:
 DAYOFMONTH: Any
  ENH_MONTH: Any
WEEKOFMONTH: Any

The university is restructuring its AD, moving from "ADP" to "RAMS".  Part
of this transition process, they are going to "dual ACL" everything for the
migration.

If I understand correctly, the AD/ACL changes will trigger FULL backups of
each node/object, since the AD changes will be seen as a change to every
object.

Yes I realize I will need to change the schedules since the objects value
will now change the "ADP" portion of the mountpoint to "RAMS".

Since the migration process involves adding the second AD and then later
removing it, this will trigger another FULL backup.

So, if I understand this correctly, we will have dozens of terabytes of
unnecessary backups during the migration process.

Any way to avoid these unnecessary backups?

The CIFS server is W2K8 using 6.4.0.11 client
--
*Zoltan Forray*
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator