ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Admin accounts with mutiple TSM servers

2014-06-30 13:43:52
Subject: [ADSM-L] Admin accounts with mutiple TSM servers
From: "Nixon, Charles D. (David)" <cdnixon AT CARILIONCLINIC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 17:41:53 +0000
Please forgive the perhaps dumb question.  How does everyone manage accounts
across multiple TSM servers?

We are looking to upgrade from 6.4.x to 7.1 and setting up OC.  We will have a
new TSM instance for OC, along with he existing two production instances and
our single instance in our DR site.  We would like the admin accounts to be the
same on each server for our system admins (15 accounts) since I assume this is
needed for OC to work properly.  Right now, passwords require chaining so
keeping everything in sync needs some automation.  Ideally, something more
elegant than sending the 'update admin' to all servers at once using server to
server communications.

Best I can tell, I can either setup the OC instance to be a Configuration
Manager (and cause us to have to recreate most everything) or tie TSM to LDAP.
The problem that I see with LDAP is that each instance would essentially want
it's own container to manage it's users since it doesn't seem to want to use
existing LDAP users.  This pretty much defeats the point of connecting to LDAP,
at least for us.

Am I missing something?  What are others using to manage the accounts across
multiple instances?

Thanks in advance...
David Nixon
System Programmer II, Enterprise Storage Team
Carilion Clinic | 451 Kimball Avenue | Roanoke, VA 24016
540-224-3903 (Work)

________________________________

Notice: The information and attachment(s) contained in this communication are
intended for the addressee only, and may be confidential and/or legally
privileged. If you have received this communication in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete this communication from any computer or
network system. Any interception, review, printing, copying, re-transmission,
dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action upon this information
by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited
by law and may subject them to criminal or civil liability. Carilion Clinic
shall not be liable for the improper and/or incomplete transmission of the
information contained in this communication or for any delay in its receipt.