ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Delete Volhist

2014-03-12 19:21:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Delete Volhist
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 00:19:11 +0100
Op 12 mrt. 2014, om 22:05 heeft Maness, Eric <Eric.Maness AT OA.MO DOT GOV> het
volgende geschreven:

> If I wanting to keep two weeks of database backups I'm a little confused on
> how to run the delete volhist command.  Usually I would run the following
> command:
>
> delete volhist type=dbb todate=today-14
>
> With running only type=dbb I'm noticing a lot of volumes that no longer exist
> in the volhist file, so I wanted to ask this forum if I would run into any
> issues running the following command instead:
>
> delete volhist type=all todate=today-14

yes, that's safe to do. It will not delete volhist for volumes either assigned
to a pool, or used by a library sharing client (if applicable). Do not, under
any circumstances, ever include force=yes in a scripted del volhist, force=yes
is an option that should only be used if you have verified 10 times that this
is indeed what you want. No matter what anyone else does, force=yes is rarely
needed and should not be used routinely.

I usually do something like

del volhist t=ddb todate=-5
del volhist t=all todate=-30

but I rarely use the longer retention of the 'other' volhist info. But do clean
it up once in a while...

--

 Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post