ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Recover Archived Data from Tapes without Catalog

2013-12-12 11:48:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Recover Archived Data from Tapes without Catalog
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:46:38 -0600
Back to the original question. You've got to fix that original Solaris
server somehow. You don't need to access the whole tape library, just
one LTO4 drive, and then mount tapes manually.

The tapes themselves are utterly useless without the original TSM
Database. There is no way to reconstruct the database from the tapes -
the metadata is not there, such as file names and owner nodenames. Files
that were encrypted at the client will be very difficult if not
impossible to recover without the databsae.

There is a machine called Index Engines that you can buy, which can read
TSM data from tapes. However, it still cannot recover the metadata, such
as whom it belongs to or what the filenames were, or whether it was the
most recent copy. File formats that contain binary metadata themselves,
such a Microsoft Word documents, will not come back in any useable form.
It is mostly used in forensic exploration such as legal e-discovery.
These machines are not cheap - repairing your broken Solaris machine
would likely cost less, take less time and effort, and give better
results.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====