ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Can you abandon conventional NDMP backups for SnapVault?

2013-11-11 12:26:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Can you abandon conventional NDMP backups for SnapVault?
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:24:16 -0500
We have an application that relies on Windows Shares.  The
shares hold millions and millions of  files.  The shares
used to be standard Windows servers with shares, but
difficulties with TSM backups (and other reasons)
required us to come up with a different architecture
that did not use TSM.

We now use NetApp equipment (IBM NSeries) that provides
all backups via snapshots, snapmirror and snapvault.

We have a Primary site with a production filer and a DR
site with a DR filer.  Each site also has a smaller
filer which are dedicated snapvaults targets for the
 the onsite bigger system.
We rely on snapshots, snapmirror and snapvault for all backups.
It looks like this:

Pri_site: prod_netapp --sv-> prod_snapvault_netapp

           sm

Dr_site:  dr_netapp   --sv-> dr_snapvault_netapp

         (sm = snapmirror, sv = snapvault)

It works very well and has been very reliable.
It preforms snapsnots/snapmirror/snapvault operations
every 6 hours (4 times per day).

Now, I must say, we rarely have to do any restores,
whether that's doing a snap restore of a volume, or a snavault
restore of some kind.

Yes, we are trusting completely in NetApp technologies for
this system, and I do trust it.  You have to monitor and test
just like any system. It has it's own problems and issues.
But for us this has been great solution.

Rick