ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Moving from TSMV5 to V6 / question on DIRMC

2013-10-30 06:55:57
Subject: [ADSM-L] Moving from TSMV5 to V6 / question on DIRMC
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT UNI-ULM DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:54:00 +0100
Hello All,

we are currently using tsm V5 Server and soon will be moving to
TSM V6, starting again from scratch with a brandnew ts3500 library
and the new 3592-c drives.

The new TSM-Server Setups are to be reviewed and now I have some quuestions
on the DIRMC feature which we distribute so far via server defined
clientoptionset.

on dirmc there are two reasons for me why using it:
a) some tape mounts can be avoided using online pools of directories,links,...
        ...we have not much drives
b) the roughly quite easily producable output on the balancing
  between 'normal files' and 'directories + 0-byte-files + links + ...'
  can be shown with simple 'per-storage-pool-basis'
        ( select sum(num_files),stgpool_name from occupancy  group by
stgpool_name )
  or simply can be displayed on a 'per-node-basis'
        ( with simly 'query occu stg=<diskdirpool>'

Especially the feature b) has often directly helped finding the basic source
of occuring strange problems.

One question now is : with TSM 6 thre  may be no need to use dirmc anymore,
is it possibe that directory-entries ( with extended acl-info) are
then always stored in the database and never going to tapes ?

If it is okay and not quite abnormal to use the dirmc then the other question
is:
is it still okay to use the following way defining a 2-Stage- Storagepool-setup
and using the 'DATAFormat=nonblock' for the file-volumes fetching those dikdir
data ?
 like
  define stg filedirs FILEDIR maxscr=0 reused=3 hi=100 lo=30 COLlocate=group
reclaim=100 DATAFormat=nonblock
  define STG DISKDIRS DISK hi=60 lo=20 nextstg=filedirs

any hints are welcome
Rainer

Rainer Wolf                          eMail:       rainer.wolf AT uni-ulm DOT de
kiz - Abt. Infrastruktur           Tel/Fax:      ++49 731 50-22482/22471
Universitaet Ulm