ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NFS only supported on AIX.

2013-10-09 15:35:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NFS only supported on AIX.
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 15:33:25 -0400
Grant,

Snapdiff support was added in TSM 6.1, only for 64-bit AIX.  But it was added
to Linux in v6.2.  From "TSM for UNIX and Linux B-A Clients v6.4"
(SC23-9791-06), page 463:

>Restriction: Incremental backup using snapshot difference is only available
>with
>the Tivoli Storage Manager 64 bit AIX client and the Tivoli Storage Manager
>Linux
>x86/86_64 client.

This indicates that snapdiff is supported on both AIX and Linux.  This is from
their manual, not from a RedBook.  It was also prominently stated in slide
decks and announcements for the 6.4 client.  If someone in IBM Support is
indicating that SnapDiff is not supported on Linux, direct them to this page as
they are mistaken.  There is no requirement to use NFS v4 for snapdiff that I
am aware of, and we have been using it with NFSv3 for some time.

I don't know what resistance you are running into, or why, but perhaps it is
because NFS can be problematic because of all of the mount and tuning options
that surround it.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager of Storage Services               Fx: 607-255-8521