ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Rename Node and Rename Filespace

2013-07-09 16:05:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Rename Node and Rename Filespace
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 16:02:35 -0400
-----George Huebschman wrote: -----

>I want to verify that I understand node and filespace renaming
>correctly:
>
>I need to rename a node that is backing up under the wrong name;
>Linux_SRV2 has been backing up as Linux_SRV1.
>Ultimately I need both SRV1 and SRV2.
>I don't want to lose the data already backed up when I start the
>actual
>SRV1 backing up as SRV1.
>I don't want to orphaned filespaces out there either, meaning that I
>want
>to avoid three sets of filespaces; New SRV1, New SRV2, and Old
>SRV2/1
>
>I recall having to rename a node about 6 years ago.  It was a little
>different, I just wanted to rename the node, I wasn't playing
>musical
>chairs with name, and it was Windows and NAS, not Linux.
>In that case I  ended up with filespaces for the old and new client
>names.
>I "think" in that case, I renamed the client from the dsm.opt file
>(Windows) without renaming the node at the TSM server.  Then backups
>occurred and it was too late to rename the filespaces.
>
>In reading this thread,
> http://adsm.org/forum/showthread.php?22687-Renaming-a-node ,
>I see that Chad Small states that the filespaces stay with the node
>when
>it is renamed.
>
> - So...all should be well if I rename the node at the server and at
>the
>client in a timely fashion.  I do not need to rename the filespaces
>at
>all.

I have never needed to rename file spaces when renaming Unix or Linux
nodes. I frequently do need to rename filespaces when renaming
Windows nodes. The Windows machine name is embedded in many of the file
space names. If the node name change is associated with a machine name
change (the usual situation at our site) the file spaces should
be renamed to match the new machine name. I have no experience with
renaming NAS nodes.

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital