ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Planning for NDMP backup

2013-06-07 11:10:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Planning for NDMP backup
From: white jeff <jeff.white3 AT BLUEYONDER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 16:05:20 +0100
Hi Michael

I believe the backups can be stored on either disk or tape, but i only ever
use tape. This is mainly due to the size of the backups, ours range between
1tb - 25tb. If on disk, that's a lot of disk!

For the server that ran the NDMP backups, we always had at least 2 drives
defined to the data movers. Other activities such as normal B/A backups
took place which required reclaim and migration tasks and had to share the
drives with the NDMP backups. If i only defined one drive to NDMP and the
drive was busy, the backup would fail. So at least 2, and 4 drives if the
NAS filer had the fibre to allow it. One problem i had: because of the size
of the dumps, we never had the time to make offsite copies of the tapes.
Right or wrong (and i know it's wrong), i had limited resources in terms of
drives and time.

Lot's of different things with NDMP backups. These are a brief summary of
my own notes.

Define a domain for the NAS backups:

define dom nas desc='NAS Domain'
define pol nas nasp

Now register a node:

reg node node-name password type=nas dom=nas

Obtain the IP address of the NAS filer:

(From the NAS filer)
ifconfig sm_vif

Note the IP address

Now define the datamover:

define datamover datamover-name type=nas hla=ip-address lla=port
userid=node-name password=password-of-NAS-filer dataf=netappdump
(Note the format must be netappdump)
(Note2: I kept the datamover-name the same as the filer-name - no point
confusing things and keeps it simple)

>From the filer:

storage show tape

Obtain the Alias name. Normally something like st0 and st1

Define the paths in TSM:

def path filer-name drive0 srct=datamover desttype=drive library=xxxx
device=rst0a
def path filer-name drive0 srct=datamover desttype=drive library=xxxx
device=rst1a

(Note the device of rst0a and rst1a. This is the st0 and st1 taken from the
filer and you need to suffix with an add 'a')

q path

Source Name     Source Type     Destination     Destination     On-Line
                                Name            Type
-----------     -----------     -----------     -----------     -------
tsm-server      SERVER          AUTOLIB0        LIBRARY         Yes
tsm-server      SERVER          DRIVE0          DRIVE           Yes
tsm-server      SERVER          DRIVE1          DRIVE           Yes
filer1              DATAMOVER       DRIVE0          DRIVE           Yes
filer1              DATAMOVER       DRIVE1          DRIVE           Yes

(So now i see the 'normal' tape drive paths, plus the file ones)

Define my devc:

define devclass NASCLASS  devtype=nas library=xxxx  mountretention=0
mountlimit=drives estcapacity=1600g
(this was an LTO4 library)

And a stgpool:

def stgpool <stgpool-name> NASCLASS poolt=primary acc=readw col=no reuse=3
dataf=netappd maxscr=2000
(Note the devc was the tape devc i just created. You can do this to disk,
of course)

And the mgmtclass and copygroup:

DEF MGMT NAS STANDARD 1M SPACEMGTECH=NONE AUTOMIGNO=0 MIGREQUIRESBK=YES
MIGDEST=SPACEMGPOOL DESC="NAS MC"
DEF COPY NAS STANDARD 1M  T=BACKUP DEST=stgpool-name FREQ=0 VERE=28 VERD=28
RETE=28 RETONLY=28 MODE=MODIFIED SER=DYNAMIC

And finally:

VALIDATE POL NAS NASP
ACTIVATE POL NAS NASP

I recommend you use a TOC (table of contents). See the admin guide or admin
ref about this

Set up a Virtual Filespce:

DEFINE VIRTUALFS <nodename> <virtual-fs-name> <fs-name> <path> namet=server

(Note: The fs-name and path must match that of the Netapp filer)
(Note the virtual-fs-name is what TSM server knows the filer storage area
as)

This will backup the filer:

BACKUP NODE node-name virtual fs name MGMT=nnn MODE=FULL TOC=YES

THE BACKUP RUNS AS A PROCESS (not as a session) SO CHECK THE PROCESS TO
CONFIRM THAT THE BACKUP HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL!

Notes:

Q NODE will not show NAS nodes. Need to use Q NODE TYPE=NAS
The Admin Guide states that Reclamation and Migration are not supported for
these storage pools

I am sure there may be better ways, perhaps dedupe etc, not sure. But this
is what i setup

Best of luck