ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Equating current 3494 configuration to TS3500

2013-04-26 10:52:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Equating current 3494 configuration to TS3500
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:50:49 -0400
We had a ugly incident with both of our 3584 libraries.

Symptom:  The robot picker was getting stuck.  When it tried to grab a
tape from a slot or put a tape into a drive (or put a tape back into a
slot), it would get stuck with the tape partially in the slot/drive and
the robot picker.  This pinned the robot so it couldn't move.

IBM replaced multiple picker assemblies.  After a replacement it would
work for a while, then start having the problems again, and would get
progressively worse.  We were getting multiple events per day!  The
library error log showed many more errors than just then ones that caused
the robot to hang.  These other errors it was able to recover from.

Long story short . . . As tapes were inserted removed from and inserted
into cells, the cells were creating a dust which was causing ware on the
picker.  This is a known issue with some plastic cells from a certain
date/time of manufacture.   IBM replaced all the plastic cells in the
library.  Yup . . .on an outage IBM opened up the the frames, removed all
the tapes, removed the plastic cells, installed new cells, put the tapes
back in.  When done we inventoried the library and all was good.

Rick