ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Implementing Encryption

2013-04-10 10:49:36
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Implementing Encryption
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:23:05 -0400
>>> *I don't think there's anything else you need to do.  With AME, the
robot doesn't talk to TSM for the keys - it's done strictly at the tape
drive level.  *

You are the second person to make such a comment when documentation I have
found says exactly the opposite.  With AME, the TSM server managing the
robot acts as the EKM.  The drive requests the key from the robot/ATL when
since it was told is using AME passed the request to the TSM server which
in turn generates the key and passes it back to the ATL/drive.  From this
doc (yes I know it is old but a newer document sent to me says the same
thing):

http://tsm-symposium.oucs.ox.ac.uk/2007/papers/Christina%20Coutts%20-%20Tape%20Drive%20Encryption.pdf

on page 23, it states:

*TSM Application Managed Encryption (AME)*

TSM generates encrypts and stores the key in the DB with other meta data
- Provides interface to key services
- Associates correct key with file