ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Vol size discrepency for SnapMirror2Tape of NetApp

2013-01-31 00:03:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Vol size discrepency for SnapMirror2Tape of NetApp
From: "Huebner, Andy" <andy.huebner AT ALCON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:27:55 +0000
Is the source compressed?

Andy Huebner

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Schaub, Steve
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:35 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

TSM Client Version 6, Release 2, Level 4.0 TSM Server Version 6, Release 2,
Level 4.0 IBM rebranded NetApp filer Data ONTAP Release 8.1.1 7-Mode

Running full volume SnapMirror2Tape backups on our filers, and 1 out of the
dozen or so volumes is reporting very different sizes.
When I run the Powershell command "Get-NaVol", this volume show these sizes:

Name              Size              Used
vol_xenbackup1    279172874240      166531391488

but the TSM log after running the SM gives vastly different sizes (again, just
for this volume, the other volumes are at least reasonably close):

xenbackup1 backup:
ANR0986I Process 2001 for NAS SNAPMIRROR BACKUP running in the FOREGROUND
processed 1 items for a total of 334,846,476,288 bytes with a completion state
of SUCCESS at 00:10:46.

Executing a "Q nasbackup" for this vol shows this:
Node Name    Filespace   Object Type    Object  Creation  Mgmt Class Image
             Name                    Size (MB)    Date    Name       Storage
                                                                     Pool Name
------------ ----------- ----------- --------- ---------- ---------- ----------
BCFILER1A    /vol/vol_x- SnapMirror  319,373.5 01/27/2013 NAS        ST06_TAPE-
              enbackup1                         22:00:52              _P01

Our filer admin has checked everything on all the volumes and doesn't see
anything different in the config of this vol.  All of our vols have compression
and dedupe turned on, but this vol is the only one that TSM is not reporting
the size correctly.
The SM backup is going over 10GBe to a diskpool, not tape.

Anyone seen anything like this, or have an idea what else to check?

Thanks,
Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer II, Windows Backup/Recovery BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm