ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Reclamation of Virtual Tapes

2012-12-18 15:24:27
Subject: [ADSM-L] Reclamation of Virtual Tapes
From: "Welton, Charles" <Charles.Welton AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 16:09:54 +0000
Hello:

We have a TSM instance that uses virtual tapes as our primary backup data pool.
 The data on the virtual tapes are eventually migrated to tape.  We are
currently down to 3 virtual scratch tapes and 6 physical scratch tapes.  I
noticed that we are not running any reclamation processes on our virtual tape
pool.  It seems we have a hand-full of under-utilized virtual tapes.  I went
ahead and ran a manual reclamation on the virtual tape pool and I noticed the
output tape pool is a physical tape.  I assumed that the virtual tape would
reclaim to another virtual tape.  Is that not the case?

Could there be a reason why reclamation shouldn't be ran on a virtual tape pool?

Thank you...

Charles

This email contains information which may be PROPRIETARY IN NATURE OR OTHERWISE
PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE and is intended only for the use of the
addresses(s) named above.  If you have received this email in error, please
contact the sender immediately.