ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup .exe files ???

2012-12-14 13:08:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup .exe files ???
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:18:39 -0500
What .exe files are we talking about? Of course TSM can back them up
(barring some very, very strange reason for a failure).

In Windows Vista and higher, Microsoft has added .exe files for NT services
to the VSS System Writer, which is part of the system state. For example,
if you install the TSM client acceptor daemon or the TSM client scheduler
(dsmcad.exe, dsmcsvc.exe), because these are "services", the executable
files are considered part of system state. Therefore, you will see the .exe
files backed up as part of system state, not as part of the regular drive
backup.

On Windows 2008 and 2008 R2, you can run the diskshadow utility to list the
files that are included with system state.

1. Start diskshadow like this:

   diskshadow /L ds.out

2. When you get the diskshadow command prompt, enter this command:

   list writers detailed

You will see a lot of data dumped to the screen, but it is also saved in
the ds.out file specified in step 1.

3. When you get the diskshadow command prompt again, enter this command:

   exit

4. Then you can use notepad to open ds.out, and look for the file name in
question. If it shows up, then it is part of system state.

Regarding user.dat files: best practice is to back up with open file
support by specifying client option SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS VSS.

I'll take the opportunity here to plug a couple of items:

* Best practices for backing up Windows 2008 are described in this
presentation:

This presentation has a lot of background and history, but the core
recommendations are on pages 25 - 33 of the PDF attachment in that
presentation.

* Best practice for restoring Windows 2008 system state is documented here:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/x/EwgFD

Best regards,

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2012-12-13
09:21:15: