ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up desktops/workstations

2012-12-10 17:56:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up desktops/workstations
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 23:48:39 +0100
On 10 dec. 2012, at 20:41, Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
wrote:

> This is very true. One of the things I forgot to mention is that we used
> to backup desktops. We're mostly in the research computing business, so
> we "only" had around 100 desktops and laptops we backed up. That said,
> the overhead of checking to see why that system failed its backups was
> high - in many cases the desktop would be powered off, or the user would
> have taken the laptop home.

There are two ways about this. One is to implement CDP for files:
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/continuous-data-protection/

The other way is to allow users to backup to TSM from their workstation, but
make them responsible for it. Just give them an node account, and tell them to
use it, but do not schedule the backups. Of course, there is no guarantee that
a user has a recent backup of his files when he needs to restore, but at least
you've provided him with a way of protecting himself.

As for not having any data on the workstation, that is in some circumstances
close to impossible, for example for laptop/mobile users. Having an irregular
backup is better than no backup at all, and having a user be aware of his role
in protecting his and the company's data is always a good thing.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl