ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Stable Version of TSM 6

2012-12-01 11:53:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Stable Version of TSM 6
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:34:16 +0000
# 1: Is there a STABLE version of 6 that would be recommended?  Right now, we
are running TSM at version 5.5.2.0, but we are thinking about upgrading.  I am
not interested in getting to the "latest and greatest version".  I am
interested in getting to a supported, stable version.

>>I"ve got several customers running 6.3.2 on AIX and Windows.  Some were done
>>as new servers, some as upgrades, no difference.  I have been very impressed
>>with stability.  Really.

# 2: Based on the recommendation in question # 1, can we run that version of
TSM 6 on Windows?

Sure.  But:

a)  make sure you have the recommended quality of hardware (For example, RAM
requirements are much higher for V6 than V5.  Check the web site for
recommendations)

b) you can't convert from one platform to the other as part of upgrading a 5.5
DB, so if you're upgrading the server you have, it will be on the same platform.

c) whether you choose Windows as your platform for a new server, depends on how
much I/O you have to move per day, can you get enough HBA's in the box, etc.
I've got no problems with somebody asking me to move 5-8 TB per day on say, a
relatively new Windows box, at least 4 cores, Win2K8 64, 32G RAM, good disk
array.  More than that, I question whether Windows is suitable.   Everybody
else on this list will have their own opinions about that.

#2a:  What about a VM?
TSM server is not supported as a Windows VM (VMware or the MS equivalent) if
there are tape drivers involved.
That means if you are doing all disk backups, it's supported.
If you have physical tape or a VTL attached, the answer is no.

Hope that helps!