ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Odd client behavior

2012-10-19 12:56:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Odd client behavior
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:36:32 -0400
Thank you very much; that turned out to be exactly what happened.
One of our client systems has an application built around a
database made up of ten files. Some of the files change on any
day when the application is used, and some change much less
frequently. The database has had chronic problems with both
integrity and recoverability. The application vendor insists
that the recoverability problems occurred because different
database files were backed up on different days. My management
is well aware that this is nonsense, but felt that it was
necessary to back up all ten database files every day to
pressure the vendor into addressing the real issues. I set
up a new management class with 'mode=absolute' in the backup
copy group. The new class was tied with our existing default
management class for longest retention period. The TSM
documentation does not specify how ties are resolved when
selecting a management class for directories. At least some of
our client systems used the new management class for their
directories.

Best regards,
Thomas Denier