ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] re-label 3592-3C as 3592-2C ?

2012-10-15 14:29:31
Subject: [ADSM-L] re-label 3592-3C as 3592-2C ?
From: "Arbogast, Warren K" <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 18:13:25 +0000
Both of our TSM/EE servers are at version 6.3.2 running on RHEL5.

Each server has a 3584 ATL attached to it with both 3592-E06 and 3592-E05 tape
drives installed. The 3592-E05 drives were not removed when the 3592-E06 drives
were added. Now we have an urgent need for more tape drives, and we are to use
the 3592-E05 drives to fulfill that need. All 3592-JB cartridges in the 3584
have already been written to by a 3592-E06 drive, and there is no budget for
new cartridges. There should be enough scratch tapes for the new data, they're
just the wrong format.

A 3592-E05 drive cannot read or write a cartridge that has been written by a
3592-E06 drive. A process is needed to re-label or re-format a set of
cartridges for the exclusive use of the 3592-E05 drives.  Can this be done with
TSM? Or, can it be done with IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool ?

Thank you,
Keith Arbogast