ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Nodes per TSM server

2012-10-11 08:53:36
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Nodes per TSM server
From: Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 08:47:51 -0400
You can also license TSM by storage occupancy, which is what we have done,
for 99.9% of our nodes. Our departments "bean counter" determined it came
out cheaper,

We run 7-TSM servers (Red Hat Linux) for 600-nodes with total occupancy (as
of this email) of *1.1PB* and *1.4B objects.*

I define/shift nodes between servers based on factors like:

1.  The machines load/TSM version (we still have 1-5.5 and 1-6.1 server -
V6 servers handle nodes with millions of objects better than v5)
2.  Purpose/work mix (2-are considered critical in a DR recovery scenario
since they backup financial/HR/BlackBoard system)
3.  University department/purpose (e.g. research vs administrative systems)
4.  Age/capacity of the TSM server hardware (e.g. 8-way 32GB RAM Dell T710
vs 4-way Dell 16GB 2950)

--
*Zoltan Forray*
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator