ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Stopping backups from running during certain hours

2012-09-26 11:09:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Stopping backups from running during certain hours
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:58:21 -0400
In the past our networking folks have setup some kind of QOS on the
routers so that TSM traffic did not dominate.  From what I remenber it was
a ugly process for them to do.

From:   Zoltan Forray <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date:   09/26/2012 10:46 AM

*"Could you monitor the TSM sessions and ensure that if one is still going
it it put on hold from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm during the work week."*

Yes, the above sentence is what I have been tasked with.

Some back-story........

We have some non-local nodes that often backup terabytes of data, thereby
sometimes running for >16-hours and often many days.  Unfortunately, due
their physical location and other networking issues, their traffic comes
across a 10/100 connection. We recently had some "networking slowdowns"
and
someone noticed a large amount of traffic across this switch (never mind
the problem was actually diagnosed to be a firewall problem....) .....
 even-though this has been happening for a long, long time.  So, TSM has
become the whipping-boy for network related slowdowns (<2% of the TSM
nodes
are not local/on private GB connection)

I am not aware of a server-side function/process that can kill a running
backup (never-mind that a physical body will have to check active backup
sessions and figure out which might cause problems) and stop the node from
reconnecting almost immediately (unless something has changed, you can't
update a node to lock it while it is active).

Thoughts.....suggestions.......ideas......rants................
--
*Zoltan Forray*
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.