ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Disk/Volume/mountpoint access for TSM 6.3 on Windows

2012-09-11 21:47:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Disk/Volume/mountpoint access for TSM 6.3 on Windows
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 01:30:27 +0000
Hi Steve,

Windows CAN be made to work the same way, and in my experience that's the best
thing do to:  make many drive letters and treat each drive letter like you
would an AIX filesystem, with one (or more) drive letters for the DB, one for
the active log, one for the archive log.  Just like on AIX, all you have to do
is create a directory on the drive letter.  DB2 creates all the subdirectories,
files, etc on his own.

DB2 on Windows, like on AIX, does his %full calculations based on the amount of
space on the drives where the DB and logs are located, just like it would do
the %full calculations based on the amount of space in an AIX filesystem.  If
you let other stuff live on the same drive letter, you'll end up getting DB
backups fired when you shouldn't because the drive space is being used by
something else, or you'll have to leave way too much free space on that drive
to prevent it happening.  It's not impossible to manage all on one big drive,
but it's ugly - Nothing Good Will Come of It.  DB2 expects to have separate
filesystems/drives, and your life will be better if you do it that way.

If you have good connections to SAN based storage like XIV or a VNX, you can
format and connect multiple LUNs as different drive letters.  Set up your
fastest drive(s) for the DB (which wants fast random access), the active log
(which wants fast sequential access), and the archive log (which can be on
slower disk).

If you are stuck with a less flexible or dedicated array, think about making at
least some of it RAID 10 for the DB, still presenting multiple LUNs to the
Windows TSM server.

If what you end up stuck with is one big physical LUN, use Windows Device
Manager to carve it into multiple logical LUNS, so it will appear as different
drive letters.