ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Slow backup

2012-08-08 13:46:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Slow backup
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 10:23:40 -0700
On 8/8/2012 6:43 AM, Allen S. Rout wrote:
> On 08/07/2012 03:26 PM, Arbogast, Warren K wrote:
>
>> There are 4500+ directories under /ip, so virtualmountpoints aren't
>> workable either.
>
> ... Why?  It's not hard, it's just big.
>
> Envision this:
>
> find /ip -maxdepth 1 -type d   | awk '{ print  "virtualmountpoint ",$1}'
>> /var/tmp/dsm.sys.vmp
>
> cat /var/tmp/dsm.sys.the_rest_of_my_stuff /var/tmp/dsm.sys.vmp >
> /[...]path/dsm.sys
>
> Rejigger that for however you maintain your configuration data;  but the
> key point is that you can mechanically produce the list of VMPs, and
> separate them from the maintenance of the rest of your TSM config.
>
> You're not going to thrash the TSM server by making 4500 mountpoints,
> you'll just make your list of filespaces be REALLY LONG.
>
> If your files are fairly evenly divided between these first-level dirs,
> then you've turned a 21M file problem into a thousand file problem,
> which is to say "No problem".
>
> ... Just don't collocate by filespace. :)

If you want to limit the number of filespaces per node, you can also
assign some the filespaces to other nodes, either using proxy nodes or
creating separate SERVERNAME stanzas in your dsm.sys/opt files. We do
this for some of our fileservers that are jointly owned by different
groups, so that we can chargeback backup usage to the individual groups.

-- Foege Building S048, (206)-685-7354