ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Moving to TSM Capacity based licensing from PVU - experiences

2012-07-18 12:15:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Moving to TSM Capacity based licensing from PVU - experiences
From: Ian Smith <ian.smith AT OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:51:18 +0000
Hi all,

thanks supremely for some interesting, and varied takes, on this thorny
subject. With thousands of clients in a distributed site, we are losing the
battle to properly audit the PVU entitlement we require. For a brief second it
looked like  the client-side reporting of PVU might be our panacea but no. It
is an estimate as it has to assume what is a client device and what is a client
to be licensed by PVU. Shame on IBM for constructing a licensing model so unfit
for purpose.

TBH we are well down the path of despair with this whole issue and the assorted
replies strongly suggest that we either pay more via the per-TB model, or stick
with the impossible PVU model. Its not much of a choice, even if we, like
others, are actively looking at client-side dedupe ( particularly with TSM for
VE ) and possibly dedupe of Exchange data.

One thing that vexes me, is that it appears that once committed to per-TB
licensing, you can never reduce the entitlement. If you do succeed in reducing
your primary pool occupancy, it just seems that can only be used as 'headroom'
for future growth. That is, you cannot pay for occupancy minus 10% next year
even if your storage requirements only amount to that. Furthermore, it seems
that there is a mandatory growth figure of at least 10% ( others have mentioned
20% ) year on year in the occupancy entitlement - even if you don't or won't
need it ( for example by pursuing aggressive strategies of dedupe, compression
and quota management ). That vexes my management too and I fear that we will,
in the course of the next couple of years, turn our backs on this product as
soon as we have rolled our own solution. Which will be a shame, as it is a good
product and we won't be able to recreate it.

Many thanks once again.
Ian Smith
Oxford University