ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] File counts for Windows 7 system files

2012-06-14 11:27:30
Subject: [ADSM-L] File counts for Windows 7 system files
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 11:12:54 -0400
We recently had a Windows 7 client system renamed. Both it and the TSM
server it uses run 6.2.2.0 TSM code. The server runs under zSeries Linux.
I executed a 'rename node' command for the system and a 'rename filespace'
command for each drive letter. I decided not to try renaming the file
space for system file backups; Windows has historically been very insistent
on linking a particular set of system file backups to a particular system
name. As I expected, the first backup after the name change created a new
file space for system file backups.

About a week after the name change, I decided to delete the file space
containing system file backups done under the old name. The 'query
occupancy' command reported about 65,000 files in the primary storage
pool. I had to stop and restart the deletion process to allow starting
reclamation. The two sets of process end messages indicated that about
1.5 million files were deleted. I am used to 'delete filespace' deleting
more files than 'query occupancy' would suggest, often by 20 percent and
occasionally by a factor of 2. I have never before seen anything close to
a factor of 23. Is this normal behavior?

Thomas Denier
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital