ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] More on Library Manager/Library Client

2012-06-07 20:17:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] More on Library Manager/Library Client
From: Alex Paschal <alex AT NORDISKSYSTEMS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 00:15:16 +0000
Hi, Geoff.  This isn't comprehensive, but hopefully it's enough to get you
started.

1. What are some of the daily issues you see related to the manager/client
setup/communication if any and what commands do you run to see if everything
'looks good"?
Not too many daily issues specific to library sharing.  Everything usually just
works unless the library manager is down or rmts have shuffled.

2. Where do you start if you're running commands to see if things "look good"?
From the documentation it looks like they are typically all run from the
Library Manager. Is this correct?
Yes, most checks are run from the libmgr.
Server: q path to make sure paths aren't going offline.  You can use your
normal library checks that you would perform in an unshared environment.  One
new detail is you can use "q mount f=d" to see which library clients own which
mounts.
Client: q actlog s=mount to make sure you're getting mounts

3. Are there any configurations to view from the client?
Other than the primary library manager name in the library definition, not
really.  The configurations are all on the libmgr server.  From the library
client you can check the actlog to see that mounts and processes are succeeding
and that sessions are being opened to the libmgr successfully.

5. If you have scripts would you be willing to share them? Would you also be
willing to share a snip-it of their output?
This will print some define drive and path statements. You could copy the
statements and paste them into dsmamdc.  You would run it on the libmgr, then
on the libclients.  You'd copy the libclient output and paste the "define path"
lines into the libmgr dsmadmc.
lsdev -Cc tape | grep Ultrium | awk '{print $1}' | while read RMT ; do
   SN=`lscfg -vl $RMT | grep "Serial Number" | sed 's/.*\........//' | sed 's/
*$//'`
   DRIVE="drive$SN"
   print "define drive lib1 $DRIVE"
   print "define path server1 $DRIVE srctype=server autodetect=yes
desttype=drive library=lib1 device=/dev/$RMT"
done

This deletes all your rmts and runs cfgmgr.  Sometimes it's quicker to blow
them away and update your paths.
lsdev -C | grep rmt | awk '{print $1}' | xargs -n1 rmdev -dl
cfgmgr -v

7. What commands, if any, might you use on the server logs to locate problems?
>From the server, pretty much your normal actlog monitoring that you used in an
>unshared environment.  From the client, things like "dsmadmc q act
>search=mount | grep -i -e fail -e error" can be useful.  Mount errors can then
>be backtracked to the library manager actlog.

It's been a while since I did day-to-day admin, so I don't have those scripts
anymore. Most of what I do is initial configs, reconfigs, new libraries,
special troubleshooting that the customer can't figure out, that kind of thing.
 Maybe some other folks can chime in on the day-to-day stuff.

Alex