ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Replacing tape drives with higher-capacity/different model

2012-06-04 10:10:36
Subject: [ADSM-L] Replacing tape drives with higher-capacity/different model
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 09:55:02 -0400
Our 3494 ATL has 15-drives,  5-TS1120 and 10-TS1130.

We have just purchased replacements/upgrades to replace the TS1120 with
TS1130 drives plus add 2-new drives.  We currently have 2-TS1120 drives
that are starting to act up and thus need to be yanked.  2-of my new
TS1130 drives have appeared.  So my thought is, why not just replace the
failing TS1120 with the new TS1130, since that is what he have planned,
anyway.

My question is this.  Can I physically replace the drive, but not change
the device format (currently 3592-2C)  in the DEVCLASS, until a later date
when I reconfigure all of library (which requires a full teach/reconfig),
without any problems reading/writing to existing tapes.  My other thought
is to move an "upgraded drive" to my other TSM server which manages the
TS1130 drives.

You thoughts/suggestions?

Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator