ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] V5.5 -> V6.2.3 Move - Chicken-and-Egg Question

2012-04-23 12:09:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] V5.5 -> V6.2.3 Move - Chicken-and-Egg Question
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 12:00:07 -0400
On 04/23/2012 11:31 AM, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:

Problem is this.............the DB backup will be on an offsite TSM
server, so server-to-server communications is required.

Can you simplify the process by doing a one-time backup to some other
media?  For example:

+ On new box, Make a filesystem /tsmcomm/dbbackup
+ NFS export the filesystem.
+ Mount it on old system on the same path
+ Make new devclass, type FILE, pointing at that path
+ do a DB backup
+ copy volhist to new place
+ do whatever restore/upgrade chicken dance is required.

You can unzone all the tape devices from the new box to avoid the risk
of new-box dinking with the volumes before you want it to.

This might even let you work through the process several times in a row
as dry runs.  _highly_ recommended, that.  In the 6.1 and 6.2 betas, I
had to do several dry runs each time before I got a process I was happy
with.

- Allen S. Rout