ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: logical libraries in VTL

2012-03-01 10:42:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: logical libraries in VTL
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 10:35:09 -0500
On 03/01/2012 02:15 AM, Steven Langdale wrote:
It looks like Allen has had a better experience, but in my recent
experience with ProtecTIER, 2 logical libraries with NetBackup&  TSM
feeding in the "same data" (we were migrating to TSM) the data WAS
"different" and dedupe ratios dropped like a stone.

Keep in mind that my dedupe device is a Data Domain: I don't yet have
any TSM-level dedupe deployed at all, at all...

I don't know what the dedupe domain is for ProtecTIER, but I do know
that in TSM it's the storage pool.   I understand the reasons for this,
but it does make for some complications;  some of us can shove all their
data in one big stgpool, but I anticipate some of us cannot.

As for using it as a  justification to migrate eveything to TSM, it is
obviously true, but in my opinion a weak argument.  It could easily be
remedied by throwing in some more disk.  You should focus on the management
costs of running multiple environments.

What he said. :)

- Allen S. Rout