ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] What if (NDMP)

2012-02-22 15:57:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] What if (NDMP)
From: "Mueller, Ken" <KMueller AT MCARTA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 15:47:12 -0500
This matches what I see in our environment - q nasbackup doesn't show the full
backup that the differentials depend upon, once the full backup ages out.  We
have successfully restored volumes using a recent differential with its older
associated full backup so it does work.  However, your use of the word
"expired" to describe the status of the full backup caught my eye because it
implies that while we can restore full + differential, we can't restore the
full by itself.  Is that indeed the case?  (Never tried it.)  It makes sense in
terms of following the rules of retention, but its an interesting scenario
where "I've got it, but I can't give it to you unless you buy the package deal!"
-Ken