ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration performance TSM 5.5 (request)

2012-02-16 19:07:00
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration performance TSM 5.5 (request)
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:00:46 -0500
Some things to think about and look at - in no order:
- What kind of response time are your I/O's getting at the  AIX level (ioscan)?

- Check the average sampled read/write times for your luns in the vmax.  You
should be seeing 1ms writes and <10ms reads (fc tier and flash tier) and slow
+15ms reads for a sata tier. (going off the top of my head, but that sounds
like what I see on ours)
- I assume you have dual paths.  Are you using PowerPath or MPIO.  Pull up nmon
and see if your I/O's are evenly spread between your hba paths.
- Look at the queue depth for the hba and hdisks.  We find the hba default
often to be too low for large I/O processing.
- Are your luns on FASTVP in the vmax?  If you have a sata tier/pool,
expiration could be reading lots of little used blocks that have fallen to the
lowest tier.  You would see very slow reads in this case for the expiration
reads.
- Are the front end ports on the vmax overloaded?  We've seen major queuing
problems in the vmax FA's if iops exceed 20k on a port.  QUite simply - host
hba's can over power a vmax fa port.  (or multiple host hba's sharing a FA
port)  I don't think this is it - expiration does a small continious data
stream, but if the fa port is overloaded you could have a problem.
- Watch the tsm cache hit ratio.  I've seen our say it's 99% when I've looked
at it during the day.  One night I was in late and saw that during backup
processing it was way down in the low 90%.  Check it over time.

The single thing above for a quick check on if this is a disk performance issue
is the vmax sampled average read/write times for your luns.

Rick