ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration performance TSM 5.5 (request)

2012-02-16 14:57:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration performance TSM 5.5 (request)
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:48:50 +0100
I'm pretty sure we can agree that expiration should be alot higher than 100
objects / sec.

The question is more WHY he's getting 100 objects / sec. According to previous
information, disks should be in order, so the next questions would be:

a) What platform are you on?

b) How long has this bTSM server been running, and when did you last do a
unload/load DB (since it's TSM 5)?

If disks are in order, load isnt to heavy, disks are ok and not congested, the
only reason why expiration would be slow on performance is one of the following:

a) You're database is heavily fragmented, causing your expiration to look
through alot of empty space (since expiration is sequential)

b) You have a bug in your current TSM code

c) Your server is running out of other resources than disk (memory, RAM) though
I think you would have checked this by now

Expiration / sec of objects isnt related to the amount of objects, total
expiration time is, so even though you would have a billion objects to look
through, expiration / sec would be fast, but the time to complete would be long.

Best Regards

Daniel

Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB