ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Isilon backup

2012-02-09 18:13:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Isilon backup
From: "Robert A. Clark" <robert.a.clark AT DAIMLER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 15:04:53 -0800
There was code around for a while, that compiled on Solaris, and could
understand NetApp's (essentialy) ufsdump format. With this you could read
an NDMP backup.

Skip foward a few years: Avamar's NDMP accelerator (a Linux box running
custom code) can take in an NDMP stream  from a Celerra and output a
stream equivalent to a normal (Avamar) file-level backup client. That
product can do the same thing with NDMP backups from a NetApp filer.

I'm not advocating the product, or comparing it with Snapdiff, just
pointing out that at least one other product can do something novel with
the NDMP stream.

[RC]

wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM
Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
02/09/2012 01:15 PM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Isilon backup

If you are going to use a filer, EMC doesn't support backups of its NAS
devices (that I have run into) except via NDMP dump.
Netapp on the other hand (or IBM-branded N-series, which is still a
Netapp) supports the -snapdiff api.

I just helped a customer convert about 40 hours worth of NDMP dumps that
normally took day,s to a single  2-hour -snapdiff TSM backup.  And size is
down from Terabytes a week to a few Gigabytes a day, because the -snapdiff
API lets you do a true incremental of the stuff living on the filer. ( See
the windows backup client manual for the requirements, they are very
minimal - essentially just requires 7.3 or higher of Ontap, and that's
been out for a long time.  )

As far as what is good for  VM's (and I'm speaking from a backup/recovery
perspective, I'm not a VMWare expert): no 2 filer-type devices are the
same.  As long as you are talking really low utilization, almost anything
will work.
If you are talking > TB of VM's, remember that for VM's we are back in the
sad old world of needing to full dump all the .vmdks, usually every 1-2
weeks.  So it's a matter have having the infrastructure IN the filer
(drives, cache, paths) and the infrastructure TO the filer (fibre
attachments or 10GigE between it and the TSM server) to get the throughput
you need.

"Don't buy cheap, and expect to get fast.
Be most suspicious of the ones who claim it's simple."  -  me