ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Isilon backup

2012-02-09 16:16:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Isilon backup
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 21:09:37 +0000
If you are going to use a filer, EMC doesn't support backups of its NAS devices
(that I have run into) except via NDMP dump.
Netapp on the other hand (or IBM-branded N-series, which is still a Netapp)
supports the -snapdiff api.

I just helped a customer convert about 40 hours worth of NDMP dumps that
normally took day,s to a single  2-hour -snapdiff TSM backup.  And size is down
from Terabytes a week to a few Gigabytes a day, because the -snapdiff API lets
you do a true incremental of the stuff living on the filer. ( See the windows
backup client manual for the requirements, they are very minimal - essentially
just requires 7.3 or higher of Ontap, and that's been out for a long time.  )

As far as what is good for  VM's (and I'm speaking from a backup/recovery
perspective, I'm not a VMWare expert): no 2 filer-type devices are the same.
As long as you are talking really low utilization, almost anything will work.
If you are talking > TB of VM's, remember that for VM's we are back in the sad
old world of needing to full dump all the .vmdks, usually every 1-2 weeks.  So
it's a matter have having the infrastructure IN the filer (drives, cache,
paths) and the infrastructure TO the filer (fibre attachments or 10GigE between
it and the TSM server) to get the throughput you need.

"Don't buy cheap, and expect to get fast.
Be most suspicious of the ones who claim it's simple."  -  me