ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Drive and Path Definition

2012-01-19 02:51:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Drive and Path Definition
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 07:44:05 +0000
I think the answer can be "it depends", or "yes it has always worked that way
for SCSI libraries", or "maybe", depending on exactly the situation.  I don't
believe there is any difference between what happens in TSM 6.any and 5.5.

*       For 3494 libraries, TSM doesn't manage the slot locations, the 3494
does.  TSM just tells the 3494 what cartridge it wants mounted in which drive,
and the 3494 software is responsible for locating the cartridge via its
on-board data base and moving it around.

*       TSM has a much more intimate relationship with SCSI libraries.  TSM has
to actually know the slot locations and pass them to the library when it wants
something done.   What it sends down the wire to the robot is the equivalent of
"go to slot 1428, grab cartridge, move to the drive in position 256, load
cartridge".  It maintains the cartridge slot locations and drive positions
(called element numbers) in the TSM DB.  You can also see them if you look at
your devconfig file.  They get updated by checkin/checkout, or a library audit.

   TSM gets the available slot locations from the SCSI library at start up
time, when you see the "library bubba is ready for operations" message in the
activity log.  Even the mid-sized libraries like the TS3310/ADIC 500/Quantum
I500 come with different configurations with different numbers of
drawers/frames/drives/slots/IO ports, so the only way TSM can know what's
actually out there, and what drive is in which physical position, is to ask the
library.

Thus, if you are deleting/defining drives and paths, or replacing a failed
drive - things that change just from TSM's point of view - you can  do that in
a SCSI library without restarting TSM.  (Although in a Windows environment, if
you are recabling stuff it also isn't too hard to get yourself in a situation
where you have to reboot Windows to clear a hung or error condition on the bus,
which really isn't TSM's fault but it gets restarted anyway.  Oh, for the days
I had an AIX TSM server...)

But if you make a change to the actual hardware configuration of the tape
library ( adding a new frame/drawer, licensed slots, adding a physically new
drive in a library position where there was no drive before), certainly
anything that requires a library reboot/rescan, you have to restart TSM so it
will pick up the new config from the robot's point of view.

*       Change what the 3494 sees - no restart
*       Change what TSM and the OS see - no restart needed from TSM's point of
view
*       Change what the SCSI tape robot sees inside the library - gotta restart
TSM

There are other situations that vary a lot.  You can usually update drive
firmware without a TSM restart.  You can sometimes update library firmware
without a TSM restart, but if you have a problem the first thing you'll need to
try is a TSM restart (and a host reboot on Windows) so just plan on it anyway.
There are some libraries - the TS3500 I know in particular - that will let you
force a drive reset from the library panel, without a host/TSM restart.

I'm sure there are other cases I've missed.
But this may help explain why you get different answers, depending on the
context and the situation.