ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Question concerning large filepools on HP EVA

2011-12-07 09:12:15
Subject: [ADSM-L] Question concerning large filepools on HP EVA
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:55:56 +0100
Hi

We have a customer running TSM with a large (+130TB) HP EVA 64000 as a large
filepool (multi-directory). After a few months, they got problems with disks
breaking down in the EVA box, ending up having raidarrays in almost a constant
state of rebuild. After talking to HP, the advice they got was to try to reduce
the load on the box since it shouldnt be used more than 30% of the time during
24 hours.

Initially, the customer used deduplication on the box which probably put even
more stress on it, but this is now turned off. The problem still exists however.

Has anyone else had issues with large diskboxes in combination with file device
pools? According to HP, this is due to the high amount of I/O that TSM
produces, but I've seen non-SATA boxes handle alot more I/O than this. So the
question is, is it because of the use of SATA drives, or is this a problem with
just this model/box?

The box is equipped with 1TB HP labeled S-ATA disks and the customer has a
small SAS-based diskbox to handle daily backups and then migrates to the HP EVA
box. Data is then backed up to a remote LTO-based tape library.

Another problem related to the same pool is that file device volumes that has
been reclaimed (0.0% usage) is not returned as scratch and deleted, but is held
within the storage pool as a volume with 0.0% usage. Anyone know of any related
issues with file device volumes not being deleted?

Customer is at v6.2 on RedHat Enterprise Linux, and we've checked permissions
on both directories and files of the file device volumes, aswell as the TSM
activity log, but cannot see any relevant issues.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman

Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB