ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating from AIX to Linux (again)

2011-11-17 15:13:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating from AIX to Linux (again)
From: "Sheridan, Peter T." <Peter.Sheridan AT CUNAMUTUAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 12:01:33 -0600
Does anybody have any comparisons on running TSM V6.3 on the AIX
platform versus Windows 2008 ? We have been running on AIX for
approximately 15 years and our company would like us to convert to
windows. Trying to give them a comparison in terms of hardware needed,
disaster recovery times, etc...

Thanks.

Re: [ADSM-L] Migrating from AIX to Linux (again)

You have to move off TSM 5 sooner or later.  Any reasonably sized TSM
installation takes too long to practically convert in place so you are
forced to install TSM 6 on a new server, start new backups and then
export/import the old data.  This is an ideal time to change platform in
the process.

Other than that take a look at www.butterflysoftware.com

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Canberra Australia

On 17/11/2011 8:43 AM, Hans Christian Riksheim wrote:
> I am not of any help here but you say you are moving to Linux because
> it is cheaper.
>
> Our Power servers running TSM accounts for less than 3% of the yearly
> total cost for our backup infrastructure. Then we include licenses and
> man hours in addition to hardware and data center costs(floor space,
> power and cooling).
>
> Cutting off a little of those 3% is not an option for us if it means
> moving away from a rock solid platform. Even if Linux on Dell was
> handed to us free of charge we would stay on Power. But YMMV.
>
> Anyone else done the same calculation and found out what the cost of
> the physical servers amount to compared to total cost for the TSM
> infrastructure? Maybe you should.
>
> Hans Chr.
>

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Dury, John C.<JDury AT duqlight DOT com>
wrote:
>> Our current environment looks like this:
>> We have a production TSM server that all of our clients backup to
throughout the day. This server has 2 SL500 tape libraries attached via
fiber. One is local and the other at a remote site which is connected by

dark fiber. The backup data is sent to the remote SL500 library several
times a day in an effort to keep them in sync.  The strategy is to bring

up the TSM DR server at the remote site and have it do backups and
recovers from the SL500 at that site in case of a DR scenario.

>> I've done a lot of reading in the past and some just recently on the
possible ways to migrate from an AIX TSM server to a Linux TSM server. I

understand that in earlier versions (we are currently at 5.5.5.2) of the

TSM server it allowed you to backup the DB on one platform (AIX for
instance) and restore on another platform (Linux for instance) and if
you
were keeping the same library, it would just work but apparently that
was
removed by IBM in the TSM server code to presumably prevent customers
from
moving to less expensive hardware. (Gee, thanks IBM!<sigh>).
>> I posted several years ago about any possible ways to migrate the TSM

Server from AIX to Linux.
>> The feasible solutions were as follows:
>>
>> 1.       Build new linux server with access to same tape library and
then export nodes from one server to the other and then change each node

as it's exported, to backup to the new TSM Server instead.  Then the old

data in the old server can be purged. A lengthy and time consuming
process
depending on the amount of data in your tape library.

>> 2.       Build a new TSM linux server and point all TSM clients to it

but keep the old TSM server around in case of restores for a specified
period of time until it can be removed.

>> There may have been more options but those seemed the most reasonable

given our environment. Our biggest problem with scenario 1 above is
exporting the data that lives on the remote SL500 tape library would
take
much longer as the connection to that tape library is slower than the
local library.  I can probably get some of our SLAs adjusted to not have

to export all data and only the active data but that remains to be seen.

>> My question. Has any of this changed with v6 TSM or has anyone come
up
with a way to do this in a less painful and time consuming way? Hacking
the DB so the other platform code doesn't block restoring an AIX TSM DB
on
a Linux box? Anything?

>> Thanks again and sorry to revisit all of this again. Just hoping
something has changed in the last few years.
>> John

If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that
you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for
your cooperation.