ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Can you restore a SystemState backup when you have the HP OpenView problem?

2011-11-03 06:59:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Can you restore a SystemState backup when you have the HP OpenView problem?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 06:53:06 -0400
Hi Lindsay,

The files in question are protected by Windows Resource Protection, and
thus are static by nature. They are not expected to change unless you
perform maintenance that causes them to be replaced; and even then, you
would need to reboot to effect the replacement. But having said that, I do
advocate as "best practice" that Open File Support with SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS
VSS be used when backing up Windows systems.

I would also like to re-emphasize what I said earlier: the ANS1417W
messages are the result of a "safety net" -- not a "solution" -- that we
implemented for this problem. We felt it a better alternative than, for
example, doing nothing, issuing a message but doing nothing else, or
failing the backup outright. When your automobile's "check engine" (or
other warning) light comes on, you are ill advised to ignore it. The
ANS1417W message is one of TSM's "warning lights" that tells you something
needs to be addressed but TSM "has your back". The recommendation is that
you heed the advice of the warning message (for the general case) and the
flash (for the specific/known HP OpenView case).

Best regards,

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2011-11-02
21:29:31: