ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] When hours become seconds

2011-11-02 09:43:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] When hours become seconds
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 09:42:24 -0400
On 11/02/2011 08:49 AM, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:
I had an odd situation occur involving formatting disk storage volumes on
a Linux server. [...]

So, what gives?

Is there some dramatic change in 6.2.3.0 (this is my first server
upgraded to this level) effecting the behavior of creating disk
storage pool volumes?  It can't be the hardware since this is a 3+
year old machine.  I have newer, bigger, beefier, faster servers
that still take a long time to format storage volumes?

I know that for a long time (back to ADSM v2, at least), volumes were
formatted, and _populated_ with 'Eric'.

EricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEricEric

I have often wondered who Eric was. :)

This would require that every byte of that 300G get shoved down the
SAN pipe, and get committed to disk.  Kind of the opposite of thin
allocation.

This kills the cache.

If they are dealing with that in some different way...

- Allen S. Rout