ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] disk availability in VTL

2011-10-30 02:30:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] disk availability in VTL
From: Xav Paice <xpaice AT OSS.CO DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 19:25:40 +1300
On Sun, 2011-10-30 at 09:35 +0330, Mehdi Salehi wrote:
> Thanks Remco,
> VTL needs disk space to provide virtual cartridges and my concern is the
> availability of this disk space. You are right! Backup data availability
> could be addressed in higher levels like TSM copypools, but I am looking
> for inherent disk availability features in IBM VTLs' architecture. For
> instance, if an XIV box is connected to TS7680, what happens if the XIV
> explodes?
>
> Thank you,
> Mehdi

The ProtecTIER allows for replication at the VTL level - i.e. you can
have two independent disk systems behind two VTLs and replicate the
virtual carts over IP to a remote datacenter.   And of course you can
have a copy pool in a vault somewhere nice and safe.  Whether I would
consider the replicated cartridge in a primary storage pool to be enough
off site protection to not have a copy pool is a different matter.

I'm making the assumption that you want to have two disk systems in
different datacenters and replicate between them rather than have two
disk systems in the same datacenter and one VTL controlling both?