ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool

2011-10-18 10:54:34
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 10:48:22 -0400
Allen,

We are running 6.2.3 (just upgraded from 6.2.2 2 days ago) on two p740s, each
with 8 CPUs (32 vCPUs) and 128GB of RAM.  10 TSM instances total spread across
these two systems.  One has 3, the other 7.

System 1 DB sizes (Space Used by DB):
1) 258GB
2) 289GB
3) 287GB

System 2 DB sizes:
1) 172GB
2) 173GB
3)  39GB
4)  84GB
5) 317GB
6)  98GB
7)   1GB (dedicated shared library manager server)

- We do not do deduplication (yet).
- We have CPU to spare (will get used when we enable deduplication).
- We ingest ~20TB per day across all instances.  We use copy pools for all data
(to a remote tape library).

I am not sure whether we will have sufficient CPU available to do all of the
deduplication that we wish to.  Same for RAM.  The "best practices" have
changed a couple of times since we originally started looking at this.

HTH.

..Paul

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521