ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle TDP restore problem

2011-10-11 01:21:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Oracle TDP restore problem
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 08:16:51 +0300
Usually recovery process quite complicated and depend on many things:
- a few copies of control files should be defined on different disks (see in
init file something similar to  control_files=("/db/opcctl1","/db/opcctl2"). If
you still have at least one control file it is possible to copy it to lost
locations according to COLTROL_FILLES;
- if all copies of control files are lost, try to check if you have included
control files into backups (check RMAN scripts for "backup .........database
include current controlfile;"). In this case it is possible to restore control
files from TSM by  using restore controlfile to '<any location>';
replicate controlfile from '<any location>';
- a few copies of redo log files should be defined on different disks. If you
still have at least one redo log file in each group available, you are safe
(Oracle will take care about lost redo log files by using available files and
after restoring lost redo logs can be redefined). If you have lost all redo
logs at least in one group, you have to use incomplete recovery;
- database has to be in ARCHIVELOG mode and all archived redo logs are kept in
file system. If this file system is available, the latest archived redo logs
(not backed up to TSM yet) can be used from that file system during recovery;
- archived redo logs have to be included into backups (check used RMAN scripts
for command like "backup .........(archivelog from logseq $START_SEQUENCE)".
If you have archived redo log backups, they will be requested during recovery
automatically;
SUMMARY:
1) If control files, redo log files, archived redo log file system and archived
redo log backups are available, just use (no data loss):
restore database;
recover database;
2) if only control files have been lost, first restore control file and use (no
data loss):
restore database;
recover database using backup control file;
3) if any redo log group has been lost use (data loss started from the last
applied archived redo log):
restore database;
recover database;
alter database open resetlogs;