ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Recovering orphaned tape from Library Server

2011-10-06 17:43:47
Subject: [ADSM-L] Recovering orphaned tape from Library Server
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 16:37:21 -0500
I'm not having much luck recovering a tape which seems to be orphaned.
It's a library manager setup, with both Library Server and Library
Client at TSM 6.2.30.

The Library Client had mounted this tape to run a database backup, but
the backup failed with a tape I/O error. So it didn't make it into the
Library Client's Volume History File. I reran the DB backup, which
worked the second time using a different tape. The Library Client knows
nothing of the first tape anymore.

However, the Library Server still has it listed in its Volume History
File as Volume Type REMOTE, with a date more than 8 days ago. Q LIBVOL
shows:

  Library Name: LIBE
   Volume Name: TE0105
         Owner: ADSM-4   (That's the name of the Library Client)
      Last Use: DbBackup
  Home Element: 1,105
   Device Type: LTO
 Cleanings Left:
    Media Type: LTO-4

On the Library Server system, I tried UPDATE LIBVOL STATUS=SCRATCH, and
DELETE VOLHISTORY TYPE=ALL TODATE=TODAY-8 to no avail. That didn't
remove it from the VolHist file. It seems stuck in limbo.

This tape has nothing useful on it - an old and incomplete database
backup. How can I recover it? I'd hate to hand-edit the VolHist file.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====