ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool

2011-10-03 17:40:53
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: Re: [ADSM-L] vtl versus file systems for pirmary pool
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 17:28:18 -0400
On 09/28/2011 02:13 AM, Daniel Sparrman wrote:

How many TB of data is common in this configuration? In a large
environment, where databases are 5-10TB each and you have a demand
to backup 5-10-15-20TB of data each night, this would require you to
have 10Gbs for every host, something that would also cost a
penny. Especially since the DD needs to be configured to have the
throughput to write all those TB within a limited amount of time.

Mm, maybe.  But if you're already in the habit of dumping 20TB a night
from database X, you've already got that problem.  Managing backups
for a DB that size isn't going to be a tiny project no matter how you
slice it.  So I guess I'm agreeing that it's a big problem... And?

In the vaporware department, the DD folks have a thing they call
"Boost", which offloads the dedupe work to the sending client.
They've got this for a few applications now, and have been making
marketing noises about doing it for RMAN.  If that vapor were to
coalesce, you'd then choose: bottleneck on my network (or storage
backplane), or bottleneck on my client cpu, and only pass the deduped
data to the DD...

Does the DD do de-dup within the same box (meaning, can I have 1 box
that handles normal storage and does de-dup) or do I need a 2nd box?

If I understand your question correctly, it's all in one box.  We have
a second box, but it's for offsites.

If I'm right, it also sounds like (in your description from the
previous mails) you're not only using the DD for TSM storage. That
sounds like putting all the eggs in the same basket.

... I don't understand your point here.

- Allen S. Rout