ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] the production date of a cartridge

2011-10-01 06:40:33
Subject: [ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] the production date of a cartridge
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 11:43:07 +0200
Not sure for how long your regulatory rules state that you need to keep the
archived data on your 3592 cartridges but:

a) The lifetime of a cartridge(or, the data stored on it) can be counted from
the first use, not the production date. The physical cartridge itself wont
break down into dust, but the magnetics on the tape will sooner or later be
unreadable.

b) If you need to keep data for a very long tape, I suggest you get another
media than using magnetic tapes. The lifetime of the data stored on the tape is
quite limited comparted to MO media or something similar.

Best Regards

Daniel

Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB