ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] AIXASYNCIO

2011-09-27 01:49:21
Subject: [ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] AIXASYNCIO
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 06:48:20 +0200
Hi

We have a site backing up 20-25TB of data every night spread across 3 different
instances running in 2 clusters. We use AIXASYNCIO on all of these server and
it's certainly an I/O increase. If you're gonna use it, make sure you increase
the number of AIO servers. You will notice abit more memory being used due to
the use of ASYNC I/O, but it's well worth the memory.

If you're using SAN volumes, other things to look at is increasing the
queue_depth of your hdisks (default is usually to low). If you're using RAW
devices for storagepools, you should also look at lowering the filesystem
cache, since there's no really point in caching the database volumes, and RAW
devices arent handled by the filesystem cache.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman

Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB