ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Moving tapes offsite

2011-09-16 15:59:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Moving tapes offsite
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:48:14 -0700
I would be reticent about giving people used tapes, unless the old
overwritten data had been encrypted, or the tapes were used exclusively
by the people you're given them to.

On 09/16/11 12:38 PM, Jim Davis wrote:
On 9/16/2011 10:13 AM, Skylar Thompson wrote:
Could you generate a backupset for them on new tape, and then delete
their data from storage pools when it's done? That way TSM doesn't have
to track it at all.
Thanks, though with 20+ tapes of their data...  I suspect there's an
easier way I'd overlooked:  checkout the volumes, hand the tapes over,
then destroy the volumes with discarddata=yes. On my first quick pass
through TFM I'd thought the discarddata=yes would try to physically
erase the tape, but it looks like it just removes the database entries
for the backed-up data, which is fine.

--
Jim Davis
Biotechnology Computing Facility