ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] querying client backups from the server?

2011-09-10 03:36:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] querying client backups from the server?
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 17:25:48 +1000
George

You don't have to install  the windows client to get it to run.  Just
copy the executables to a directory you have access to and run from
there. I've done this from time to time when forced to use several
levels of RDP to get to a client machine, running from my home directory
on the gateway box instead at considerably improved speed.

Also, all unix variants are the same for running queries and restoring
files. Linux can restore solaris or aix and vice versa. I often use this
e.g. to see what abominations box admins have performed on dsm.sys and
it is generally quicker than finding someone with authority to log into
the box and having them send me the file.

Finally if you have a tsm admin id  with the right TSM authorities, you
can invoke the client with -virtualnode and login with the admin id to
run your queries and perform your restores. No need to reset the node
password.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris