ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] LARGE MS-SQL TDP backup keeps failing

2011-09-06 14:37:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] LARGE MS-SQL TDP backup keeps failing
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 20:33:55 +0200
that is a very good hint.

in one environment with lots of DB2 TSM clients DB2 was, during the backup,
recalling the archived redo logs. Because recalls take precedence over backups,
the DB2 backups were basically killing all other backups that might need the
same tape volume.

We solved that using group collocation, so that DB2 had it's own dedicated set
of tapes. The better way is to have the DB2 admins add 'exclude logs' to their
db2 backup db commands. The DB2 redo logs are already in TSM so recalling them
to add them to the backup makes very little sense (unless you you active data
pools.... that have to contain the most recent DB2 backup including logs).

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl