ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] Backupset restore question - different server OS's

2011-08-23 11:26:27
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Ang: [ADSM-L] Backupset restore question - different server OS's
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:16:40 -0400
Yes,  things tend to move quickly around here and I might be attempting to use
TSM in an unconventional manner.

I have to move about 90 TB of data from data center A to Data center B.  The
data centers have dissimilar SAN storage and very limited WAN connectivity
between each other.  Each server at the new data center will be a new system
and needs to be seeded with data from the currently running system.  Some
servers will only require a few GB of seed data while others will require
several hundred GB and a few have several TB of seed data.  I have to have a
data migration solution ready next week and should begin migration shortly
after Labor Day.

My Plan in a nutshell:
1.      Generate a backupset on a TSM V5.5 AIX server on encrypted 3592 media
at data center A
2.      Ship the encrypted media to data center B
3.      Define a backupset and generate a backupsetTOC(optional) from the
encrypted 3592 media on the TSM v6.2 Linux server at Data center B. Data center
B has the appropriate encryption keys to decrypt the media.
4.      Restore backupset data to the appropriate client from the TSM V6.2
Linux server at Data center B
-       No TSM DB Upgrades required or planed.  The TSM V6.2 Linux server is a
fresh install.

There are two methods of performing a backupset restore - 1. Attach client to
media containing the backupset data OR 2. From a TSM server containing
backupset data. (Ref:  TSM for AIX V5.5 Admin Guide - pg 454).  I plan to
perform the second.

I plan to move the backupset data from server to serverB as described in TSM
for AIX V6.2 Admin Guide pg. 520 as such there should be no issues with DB
differences between TSM V5 & V6 unless the data written to the backupset media
is significantly different.  I also ran across "IC62418: Backup set and Table
of Contents support in Tivoli Storage Manager Version 6.1" which discusses
backupset compatibility between V5 TSM servers and V6.1.2 or higher TSM servers
in the "Problem Conclusion" section.

Since I have not built the Linux TSM server yet, I cannot test the
compatibility of the 3592 media written by AIX and then read (hopefully) by
Linux and this has me concerned.  It looks like a backupsetTOC is not required
but would be nice to have.

Your comments are welcome.

Thank you,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.