ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Backupset restore question - different server OS's

2011-08-22 14:51:50
Subject: [ADSM-L] Backupset restore question - different server OS's
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:25:04 -0400
I am currently running TSM V5.5 on AIX.  I am setting up a TSM V6.2 server on
Linux at a new data center.  I would like to use backup sets to transfer client
data from the old to the new data centers. This backupset data will be used to
populate the newly built clients - not as a backup data store.  Both the old
and new data centers have IBM TS1120 drives in their TS3500 libraries.  I don't
plan to attach each client to tape drives and would perform the backupset
restore via TSM server.

Does anyone know or have experienced creating a backup set on a TSM V5 server
on AIX and then recovering that backup to a TSM V6 server on Linux? The Linux
server would need to generate a TOC from the tape created by the AIX server.

The TSM V6.2 server should be able to work with the backup set.  It is the OS
tape read/write compatibility that I am unsure of.  I don't currently have a
Linux box to play with and cannot test this scenario.

Your comment is highly welcomed.

Thank you,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.

IMPORTANT:  E-mail sent through the Internet is not secure. Legg Mason
therefore recommends that you do not send any confidential or sensitive
information to us via electronic mail, including social security numbers,
account numbers, or personal identification numbers. Delivery, and or timely
delivery of Internet mail is not guaranteed. Legg Mason therefore recommends
that you do not send time sensitive
or action-oriented messages to us via electronic mail.

This message is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged or
confidential information. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not
use, copy or disclose to anyone any information contained in this message. If
you have received this message in error, please notify the author by replying
to this message and then kindly delete the message. Thank you.